The event is hosted by the National Commission for Science Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) with contribution from the European Union (EU) and EU-Africa PerMed consortium.
It is the first of a series of regional workshops organised by the EU-Africa PerMed project aiming to:
- Review the landscape of personalised medicine in the different regions (East, West, North, South and Central Africa)
- Identify and prioritise areas of interest in the regions
- Identify gaps and needs for developing identified areas of interest
- Reflect on consortium models for developing personalised medicine in the region (governance, funding, partnerships, training program, etc.) and on national level
- Identify challenges and opportunities for collaboration within Africa and with Europe
Consequently, the workshop is expected to feed into the project activities of carrying out the identification of personalised medicine needs and organisation in Africa, using a region-based approach, with the final expected outcome being defining an Action Plan for EU-AU collaboration in personalised medicine.